How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4666
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired government employee with a pension. I do not

Customer Question

I am a retired government employee with a pension. I do not receive ss. My ex does. How do I claim on his. We were married more than 10 years.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

As you know, government employees have certain offsets against their retirement that penalize them for drawing from both their gov't pension and social security. The GPO, or government pension offset, applies if you qualify for spousal or widow's benefits. If it does, you lose about 2/3 of your pension benefit from the social security spouse benefit. I want to check the application in divorce.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

I assume your government employment did not have social security taxes withheld.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

This does apply to divorced spouses who are eligible for benefits on their ex-spouse's work record. is a link to social security's guide to applying for your ex-spousal benefit.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.