How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I 't have the full 40 quarters security retirement....I have

Customer Question

I don't have the full 40 quarters for social security retirement....I have
36. can I buy my other 4 quarters out of I can get a ss check..
I turn 65 next year....
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** my goal here is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer possible.

Unfortunately, the only way to get additional credits for Social Security retirement benefits is to work and have the earnings reported to the SSA. There is no way to buy or sell credits.

The only way around this is if you worked in a foreign country where the United States has a Totalization Agreement, or Social Security Treaty, you might be able to transfer credit from the other country's Social Security system.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan