PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My husband is 66 and I am 51. We have 14 year old twins. My

Customer Question

My husband is 66 and I am 51. We have 14 year old twins. My husband recently filed and suspended his benefits and the kids and I filed for benefits. It looks like the benefit calculation is the total family benefit minus my husbands benefit with the remaining amount split three ways. But, since my husband suspended his benefit, why is his benefit amount deducted from the total family benefit before the payment is calculated?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

The family maximum benefit is between 150 to 180% of the worker's benefit. Your husband could be collecting his benefit now, but had chosen to invest it, if you will, for future payouts. It would be unfair to pay out a larger family benefit now and allow his benefit to grow as well.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

There is no way to expand their definition of family benefits to exclude suspended claimed benefits. Sorry.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.