Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

SSI AND HAVE BECOME DISABLED, AGE 73, CAN I GET SSDI?

Customer Question

I AM ON SSI AND HAVE BECOME DISABLED, AGE 73, CAN I GET SSDI?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Are you collecting Social Security Retirement?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How much is your SSR?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
$1950.00
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do i get an answer for the money i have authorized?

OK, thank you. This clears things up. Just so you are aware, you are not receiving "SSI" at all. Your income from your Social Security Retirement makes you ineligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which is a needs-based welfare program with VERY low income maximums (like, $750/mo-ish).

Yes, I am typing your answer. Thank you for your continued patience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, AS I THOUGHT, THANK YOU.

Now, because you are over full retirement age, you are already getting your full Social Security available (SSR). Social Security Disability is actually an early taking of one's full retirement amount (without penalty for taking it early). We can get it when we are UNABLE to work long enough to get us through to being old enough to collect our FULL SSR. But when we are disabled young, we get our SSD and when we become of full retirement age, it automatically converts to our full SSR, but the amount doesn't change (it is the same amount). So, in sum, you are already getting your full amount you paid in for - there is no more to be had. If you'd become disabled before 66, you'd still be getting your full SSR you are getting now.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!