Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If your on social security now at age 66 and still working…

Customer Question
If your on social security...
If your on social security now at age 66 and still working full time is it possible to have it change to disiblity and get paid more per month
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
8/27/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under social security regulations, social security disability automatically is converted to a retirement benefit upon the disabled person reaching their full retirement age---which is 66 years old at the present time. It is not possible to make a disability claim with social security after full retirement age.

In your case it would not make any difference though. Disability does not pay more than retirement. In fact the way that a disability benefit is calculated is that social security looks at the retirement benefit you would be eligible for at full retirement age and that is the benefit paid to a person who becomes disabled prior to full retirement age'

So, even if you could switch to a disability benefit at or after age 66, there would be no increase in monthly benefit paid by social security to you.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney