annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

My brother had just started s benefits and got s card in the

Customer Question

My brother had just started his benefits and got his card in the mail and passed away I'm wanting to know if I can use a portion of the money to pay for his wake where we will be discarding his ashes. I will send the card with what is left back to social security. He had no insurance or burial policy so I would love to be able to have a celebration at the spreading of his ashes thank u
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be helping you tonight.

There is a $250 lump sum benefit available but it is for the surviving spouse or a surviving child, so if he had a spouse (even if they were living apart, but not divorced) or a child, then you may have them apply for this lump sum.

Unfortunately, you may NOT take it from the monies that were deposited on the card.

Please see below:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou7.html

I hope this helps

If you have any questions, please post them here, and I'll be notified.

If this has answered your question, please take a moment to rate positive (smiley faces or stars)

It is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Hi

I see that you have read my response but not rated it. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I realize that I did not give you the answer that you were hoping for.

Please know that if there was any legal way for me to give you the answer I know you were hoping for, it would have been my pleasure to have provided that answer for you.