How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has been collecting s.s. disability terminal illness

Customer Question

My wife has been collecting s.s. disability for a terminal illness since age 64 and is turning 67 in November. I am turning 65 in September and work full time at a six figure job and intend to suspend my benefits until 70.
My question is: Should or can either of us start applying for spousel benefits? Which one of us and what should the timing be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I thiink it likely you can but it depends on the amounts you both have earned on your respective records.
How much is your wife receiving?
And how much is your "primary insurance amount"?
If you dont know what your PIA is, let me know.
Please know that I have to leave soon, but I can check back tomorrow if you respond. I want you to have a thorough answer, and that is what I ended to deliver, but it is late for me at this point. Is that OK with you?
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the late inquiry. I don't know my PIA but my wife probably knows how to find out. I will also find out how much she is receiving monthly and get back to you. How do I contact you later?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
E- mail is the best contact for me.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
You can go to to get a passworded account and download your SS annual earnings statement. That will tell you your estimated PIA.
You can contact me here or if you want, I can offer "additional services" option to have private one on one email communications. You can use either and the former method (here) does not require additional cost.