How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im 62 years old and I applied ss. I will be getting $367.00

Customer Question

Im 62 years old and I applied for my ss. I will be getting $367.00 starting in November.
My question is I want to get my ex husbands ss instead, because it is $1100.00 at my
full retirement at 66. He is 70 and already is collecting it. May I still collect my ss
now and then at age 64-66 may I collect his instead. We were married for 18 years. I
don't want to collect mine now if I cant get his then. Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** thank you for trusting me with your problem.

Actually, Social Security works the other way around. You can file a claim based upon his benefits now, and then wait for your full retirement age to make a claim based upon your own record. If you make a claim at 62 you benefit will be permanently reduced. For more information on Social Security benefits for ex-spouses, you can use this link:

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Jonathan