How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started getting SSDI in 2006. My wife started early Social

Customer Question

I started getting SSDI in 2006. My wife started early Social Security retirement benefits at age 62 in 2010 - she has also been receiving a small extra amount each month, I think on my my SSDI. I am now 66 and have been changed over to Social Security retirement. She is now 67. (1) Can my wife now get 1/2 my retirement benefit which is more than her reduced early retirement benefit? (2) Will she be entitled to my full Social Security retirement benefit upon my death?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

The answer is yes and yes. She is entitled to the greater of her own benefit or 1/2 of yours. To get this she will need to go the any Social Security Administration office and bring with her photo ID, her Social Security card, proof of your marriage, and your Social Security number. Upon your demise, should that happen first, she will receive your full benefit for the remainder of her life. I recommend you do this as soon as possible since SSA only makes retroactive payments for a maximum of 6 months. You can locate a nearby SSA office at their web site which is