How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 61 and my husband is 72 and disabled after a stroke and

Customer Question

I am 61 and my husband is 72 and disabled after a stroke and is a nursing home. Can I collect social security befits on his entitlement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** my goal here is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer possible.

I am sorry about your husband's condition. Unfortunately, Social Security retirement benefits are only available to those 62 and older. In addition, if you start collecting at age 62, you will collect a reduced benefit as you have not reached your full retirement age. Furthermore, if you decide to work while collecting Social Security when you are below your full retirement age, your benefits will be reduced by $1 for every $2 your earning exceed a threshold ($15,720 in 2015). However, when you do reach full retirement age your benefits will be recalculated as you would have earned more credits to your account. If you work after your full retirement age, your benefits are not reduced for employment earnings in any amount. You can visit this page for more information and to apply online for benefits when you do turn 62 (you should apply about three months before turning 62). You can follow this link to access Social Security's retirement planner.

I hope this answers your question, and I'm sorry to learn of your husband's condition. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan