How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been receiving SS Disability since 2013. SS wants to

Customer Question

I have been receiving SS Disability since 2013. SS wants to reduce the amount because of a pension I am receiving for work done in Canada decades ago (I moved here in 1990 and my SS is based entirely on contributions since then). Combining my time working and paying into the Canadian (CPP) system with my subsequent covered work here totals well over 30 years of 'substantial earnings'. I am now at the ALJ stage of appeal. Any advice? Thanks! SR
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Without knowing too much about the specifics of the case, I would suggest that you read the US-Canada Social Security treaty, in the attached pdf file or at Any reduction in benefits would almost certainly be based upon this agreement and your should understand it well and any arguments you make to the ALJ should be based upon its provisions in addition to Social Security law as well.

I hope this helps and let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan