How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 38 years just passed and we both were

Customer Question

My husband of 38 years just passed and we both were receiving disability benefits. I will be 60 in Sept. Do I get to draw his SS benefits and still receive mine? If so will my disability be reduced?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you do NOT get to draw on both accounts. You should receive the larger of the two benefits but will need to go to a SSA office to request this. Bring photo ID, a copy of marriage records, your birth certificate and a copy of his death certificate. I am sorry but life is about to get more difficult.

There is a spousal death benefit for which you qualify but, again, only if you request it. Please do not delay.

Related Social Security Questions