LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My wife died 7/24/15, what are my next moves?

Customer Question

my wife died 7/24/15, what are my next moves ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Are you presently receiving social security retirement benefits? Was your wife?
If you answered yes to both, which of you was receiving the greater monthly benefit payment?
Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
to both. Eugene got the most. nancy got tht least.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I take it you are Eugene.
Because your retirement is higher than was your wife's, there is no benefit to you switching to a survivor benefit (which would pay only the amount your wife was receiving at her death) because you may only collect one benefit at a time and your benefit is the higher of the two.
You will need to notify social security for your wife's death, and you may do that by calling social security at 1-***-***-****.
Additionally, while you are on the phone with social security ask that they process your lump sum death benefit for your wife. It is $255.00 that will be payable to you.
Other than that, there are no additional social security benefits that you would qualify for based on your wife's passing.
Again, I am sorry for your loss Eugene.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug