How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 66 in December I just got divorced in November

Customer Question

I will be 66 in December I just got divorced in November 2014 if I go on my former spouse how much will I receive, and can I still work and receive the SS
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question. You can work and draw a benefit without reduction as you are full retirement age. For an ex spouse benefit you would get an amount equal to half the spouses benefit if you were married 10 years or more. To find out the dollar amount call 1-***-***-**** as we do not have access to this type of record. If you can afford to get the ex spouse benefit your own benefit will grow an additional 32% from age 66 to 70. You can then switch to your own benefit at age 70 if it is larger. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not please rate positive.