How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4522
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband signed up at age 62. He is now 68. He receives

Customer Question

My husband signed up for SS at age 62. He is now 68. He receives $275 per month. If he had signed up as my spouse he could have been receiving half of my SS or $500 per month. Can he make this change now? Perhaps, we could pay back the $19,800 he has received then collect the larger amount.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

When he claimed early on his own work record, that locked in a lot of what he could claim. The same discount he took to collect at age 62 would have applied to a spousal benefit, if he was eligible for a full one (if you were 66 when he was 62). He would have lost 28% or so of either his benefit or a spousal.

It's also too late to pay back all his benefits. You have to do that within 12 months of starting to collect.

He could put in for a spousal benefit, which might be higher than his current benefit, assuming you are at full retirement age yourself.

Sorry the news isn't better. The early election sets a lot of social security options.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.