How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If u are drawing social security and claim a child that's

Customer Question

if u are drawing social security and claim a child that's not urs so u can draw money on her what will they do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Well, claiming a child that is not your child or step-child and seeking social security benefits for that child would constitute the crime of fraud.
While not too many people are ever prosecuted for this kind of a crime, at a minimum you would be given an overpayment notice and you would have to repay social security all of the money they paid to you based on the fraudulent claim for the child.
There is also a possibility that you might be prosecuted in federal court for fraud, and if that were to occur, you would probably do a couple of years in federal prison on the conviction.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,