Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am still working at age 66 and do not plan on collecting…

Customer Question
I am still working at...
I am still working at age 66 and do not plan on collecting ss until age 70,even though I hope to work until age 73-75. My ex- husband is also 66. If I collect on his ss now will that affect my full ss payments when I
reach 70?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
8/11/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 3 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
So long as you are at least age 66, you may collect an ex-spouse benefit and it will not effect the growth of your own social security retirement benefit, which between 66 and age 70 grows at 8% per year.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
On the ss site, it talks about his has to be greater than what mine would be or I cannot collect any from his. Do I understand that correctly?
If you are under full retirement age (66) you may only collect the greater of your benefit or the spouse benefit---that is true---and that is what would happen if you try to make the claim now.
However, as I said, after full retirement age (66), you may collect an ex-spouse benefit while yours continues to grow.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you well
Doug
What if he has not paid into ss for 30 years. His business was overseas. He worked for 20 years (U.S. companies) before that.
Good afternoon,
Sure I can help you with this. As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. For new questions, the customer is asked to open a new question thread. As you are a new customer, and as an accommodation to you, I will answer this new question as well.
So long as he worked at least 10 years of full time employment in the US or US military and he paid into social security during those 10 years, you will still be able to make an ex-spouse claim---as he will be able to make a retirement claim with social security.
Please be so kind as to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for assisting you.
I wish you well
Doug