How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 66 and receiving full social security benefits. My

Customer Question

I am 66 and receiving full social security benefits. My husband is 63, retired, receiving a retirement benefit from work and has not applied for his social security benefit.
He would like to defer his benefit until his 70th birthday to pick up SS credits and increase his benefits. His earned income is three times higher than mine.
May he claim spousal benefits from my social security benefit without affecting his benefit when he does claim? I receive $1,204.00 per month so he would receive $602.00 per month.
May I claim spousal benefits rather than my own benefit when he files for social security benefits?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question

He can claim a spouse benefit off your record at full retirement age (66) and allow his benefit to grow.

Once he files then you can get 1/2 of his benefit if it is higher. If it's not higher you will remain on your own benefit.

So I would have him get the spouse benefit at full retirement age and then switch at 70

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Megan-That one fact alone may make it possible for him to defer Social Security until he's 70. At that point I'll switch from my full social security benefit to the spouses benefit because it should be higher than the benefit I now receive. Will that reduce the amount he receives due to the family maximum benefit rule? Wife currently receiving $1,204.00. Husband's benefit at age 70 $3,200
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

The family max rule only deals with one earner. If there are two earners they can both get everything they are entitled to. One earner and one spouse would not have to worry about the rule. It's when there are multiple dependents it becomes an issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Megan-We want to take time to digest this information. We'll get back to you if we have other questions. This is a great service!
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Great! In the meantime please rate so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.