Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am on social security and working full time I will be 67

Customer Question

I am on social security and working full time I will be 67 in a few days what is the tax law
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

You can draw social security and earn an unlimited amount, however up to 85% of your social security benefit will be taxable. you still pay social security taxes regardless if you are working -even though you may be retired.

Here is an online calculator that will tell you how much of your social security benefit is taxable:

https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/how-much-of-my-social-security-benefit-may-be-taxed

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks so much :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told at 67 u could earn as much as u want and not have to pay taxes
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

When you are 67, you can earn as much as you want and the benefit is not reduced. When you are under 67, your benefit is reduced $1 for every $2 you earn over $15,000 or so. That goes away at age 67 --- but the IRS always wants their cut.

I wish I had better news for you.