How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4676
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband's social security is greater than mine. Can I

Customer Question

My husband's social security is greater than mine. Can I receive a portion of his social security payment to supplement mine
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

In the right circumstances, you can boost your benefit payout by claiming a spousal benefit.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

A spousal benefit is at most 50% of the higher benefit spouse. That is reduced to the claiming spouse if you originally claimed early (before full retirement age).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What circumstances?
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.


Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. You can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

Note: If you are divorced, you may still be able to get benefits on your ex-spouse's record. For information on the requirements for Divorced Spouse's Benefits, read "If You Are Divorced."

You can receive the spouse's benefit no matter what your age is if you are caring for his or her child who is also receiving benefits.

How Much Will I Receive?

If You Or Your Current Spouse Are Full Retirement Age

How Do I Apply?

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Expert again:

The math varies for each applicant. If you think there is a larger benefit available, you have to apply for it (it isn't automatic). There is a link to the application online screen above.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.