LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Is ss disability garnish legal

Customer Question

Is ss disability garnish legal
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Only in very limited circumstances is it possible to garnish a social security benefit. Let me explain.
Garnishment may only be made pursuant to federal law, and the federal government can garnish your benefits for repayment of several types of debts, including:
1. Federal income taxes,
2. Federal student loans,
3. Child support and alimony,
4. Nontax debt owed to other federal agencies, defaulted federal home loans and certain civil penalties.
General creditors such as banks, loan companies and other people who might sue you for a money judgment cannot garnish your benefits.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug