LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

1.What would be my cost to add medicare to my benfits---I

Customer Question

1.What would be my cost to add medicare B to my benfits---I now have Hospital- A only that started 4-1-1993? If added what would be my monthly payments?
2.When and how do I apply for this change?
3. ssn####-##-####4-1-93
Donald R Yeaman
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Donald,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If you have not been continuously employed since 1993 with your employer providing medical coverage then you will be assessed a penalty for not taking part B when you could have.
That penalty is 10% per year for each year that you did not take part B. What that means is that you will be looking at a 220% penalty. With Part B costing $104.90, with the penalty you have to pay, the premium will be $335.00 per month.
The next General Enrollment Period for Medicare Part B is January 1, 2016 through March 31, 2016. After you apply, the Part B Benefits will not become effective until July 1, 2016.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug