How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 76 & I have my own Social security benefits, they aren't

Customer Question

I'm 76 & I have my own Social security benefits, they aren't very much. My first husband passed away recently. Am I able to draw some better benifit from his?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

If you are not married to anyone else, or got married after the age of 60, and were married to your first husband for 10 years if you divorced or at least 9 months if you were married at the time of his death, you can receive his benefit.

To determine what you are eligible for, contact social security by calling 1-***-***-**** or visiting your local office

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.