How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is currently receiving Social Security. I am now 66

Customer Question

My wife is currently receiving Social Security. I am now 66 and was told that her benefits would increase if I kept working and didn't take mine. Is that correct? If so how would we go about it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 2 years ago.

That is not correct. Note, you can defer SS until age 70 when you will be entitled to the maximum benefit based on your earnings. But she will still receive her same amount adjusted for any cost of living increases. Likewise, if you were to pass away, she is entitled to the higher of the two benefits. So, in that scenario, by you deferring, if you were to pass away after age 70, she would receive more. But simply by you still working, when you both start collecting, her benefits are not affected.