Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am still employed and will be couple more years. My

Customer Question

I am still employed and will be for a couple more years. My husband is ready to retire at age 62 and start taking his SSB retirement. He tells me even though I have worked longer than he has and earn the same amount of money, any SSB retirement income
he takes now is taxable (state and federal)up to 85% or his yearly benefits while I am employed
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, whether his SS is taxed, and to what extent, depends on the "combined" income. There is a strict definition of combined income (based on your joint return). Below 32k in combined income, his SS shouldn't be taxed, but higher than that, it could:

• file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income* that is
    • between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
    • more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome, please don't forget to rate my assistance. Thank you, ***** ***** the rest of your weekend.

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.

Social Security Attorney