How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13549
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am still employed and will be couple more years. My

Customer Question

I am still employed and will be for a couple more years. My husband is ready to retire at age 62 and start taking his SSB retirement. He tells me even though I have worked longer than he has and earn the same amount of money, any SSB retirement income
he takes now is taxable (state and federal)up to 85% or his yearly benefits while I am employed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, whether his SS is taxed, and to what extent, depends on the "combined" income. There is a strict definition of combined income (based on your joint return). Below 32k in combined income, his SS shouldn't be taxed, but higher than that, it could:

  • file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income* that is
    • between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
    • more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, please don't forget to rate my assistance. Thank you, ***** ***** the rest of your weekend.


Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.

Social Security Attorney