Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am drawing ss disability and so is my ex-husband. Can I…

Customer Question
I am drawing ss disability...
I am drawing ss disability and so is my ex-husband. Can I draw on his ss while he is alive and would mine be reduced?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
He is 61 and I am 60. We are both on disability and neither have remarried. I want to know if I can start drawing on his ss after I am 62 or if I would lose part of my benefits or possibly lose by drawing early.
When I am 66 what percentage of his ss can I collect,and will it reduce mine?
Answered in 2 days by:
8/4/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 3 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
If you were married for more than 10 years, you are eligible for a spousal benefit. That amount would be from a low 35% of your ex's primary insurance amount if you took at age 62, to a high of 50% if you wait til age 66.
It does not reduce your own benefit, but you can't collect both so you have to pick one or the other.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!