Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can someone who was married over 22 years and then divorced

Customer Question

Can someone who was married over 22 years and then divorced collect the Social Security of the former spouse when they die?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I can collect SS since my former spouse died....what do I need to do?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Good morning! Yes, generally, if married over 10 years, an over 60 (some instances over age 50) the surviving ex spouse can be eligible for a survivor benefit of between 71-100% of the deceased ex spouse's benefit - all such ex's may do so. Whether that survivor would want to do that, and at what age, will depend on any other eligible benefits - since we can only take ONE benefit. Sometimes we choose the highest one, but not always. There are strategies that can come into play.
If you are interested in more specifics on your own situation, and what strategies you may want to consider, I will try to add the optional "additional services" offer for you.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!