How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4518
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married years. Went through a divorce 10 years

Customer Question

I was married for 32 years. Went through a divorce 10 years ago. I plan on collecting my social security next year at age 62. My X-Wife always made a lot more money than I did. She has remarried and I have not. She is also still working. Can I claim part of her social security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
It appears you may be eligible if she is eligible to claim (she does not have to claim for you to do so). From SSA: If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:You are unmarried;You are age 62 or older;Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits andThe benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.Note: Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount(or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits atyour full retirement age.If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record we will pay that amount first. But if:the benefit on his or her record is a higher amount, you will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount (reduced for age).
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Also, a spousal benefit you claim does not reduce her benefit at all. Good luck with getting your benefits. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
One more item; your benefit at age 62 will be less than the 50% benefit you would receive at full retirement age. Factor that discount into your decision.