How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13521
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As of 8/1/15 I will have group health insurance through my

Customer Question

As of 8/1/15 I will have group health insurance through my husband, how do I cancel
any D insurance on my Social Security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
You will want to contact the local office SSA. Follow up your request, whether you make it by phone or in person to cancel, by sending a letter mailed certified RRR confirming your interaction. You will also want to contact any insurance carrier connected with your Medicare. Note that you will want to get a certificate from the new carrier (husband's employer's provided coverage) indicating that the coverage given you IS "creditable coverage". This is because only creditable coverage will excuse you from the Medicare penalty on your premiums later, should you go back to Medicare. Also, SOME employer coverages require that you still take Medicare, because it will only act as a secondary for those eligible for Medicare, while Medicare will be primary. So best to check all these out before getting rid of Medicare, if you haven't already. I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online legal resource!