How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my ex-husband qualifies for $3,500 plus credits. He is

Customer Question

If my ex-husband qualifies for $3,500 plus credits. He is 67 and still not collecting his social security. We were married 17 years. What amount can I collect from his social security?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If your ex is entitled to $3500 per month in social security benefits, and he is now over age 66, you may apply for an ex-spouse benefit and if you are at least 66 years old now, then you would receive an amount equal to 50% of the benefit he was entitled to at age 66---which based on your statement of his benefit, would result in a benefit to you of about $1,700 per month.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,