How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 70 year female who wants to know if I increase my social

Customer Question

I am a 70 year female who wants to know if I increase my social security in any way through my husbands benefits. We have been separated for years and I am struggling on just my own social security benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
You are entitled to either your benefit or your spousal benefit which is one half of what your husband receives, which ever is higher. But you cannot combine the two. Likewise, regardless of whether you are separated or not, you are still entitled to the higher benefit. So simply go to any SSA office, provide your husband's SS number, and the SSA will determine if you are entitled to a higher amount.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Please be so kind as to rate ,my answer with either three or more smiles or stars as I am not compensated otherwise. thanks.