How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4522
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married 15 years to 1st husband and divorced him. I married

Customer Question

I was married 15 years to 1st husband and divorced him. I married 2nd time for just a year. Am I entitled to collect social security from 1st husband when I retire? I am turning 60 in Sept.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
From SSA: Benefits PlannerCalculatorsRetirementDisabilitySurvivorsIf you are divorced, even if you have remarried, your ex-spouse may qualify for benefits on your record.(If your ex-spouse will also receive a pension based on work not covered by Social Security, such as government or foreign work, his or her Social Security benefit on your record may be affected.)To qualify on your record, your ex-spouse must:have been married to you for at least 10 years;be at least 62 years old;be unmarried; andnot be eligible for an equal or higher benefit on his or her own Social Security record, or on someone else's Social Security record.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
If you meet those requirements, you will be eligible for benefits on your ex's work record at age 62. Those benefits do not decrease his. Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer