How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received ss benefits as disibled at 63,5. now i.m 68y and

Customer Question

i received ss benefits as disibled at 63,5. now i.m 68y and 5m old and receiving $1286. in 8 monts my wife will 66 y old her ss will be about $1500 or more .can i receive more money
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi Unfortunately, no. While you could switch to a 'spousal' benefit based on your wife's work record, that amount would be less than 50% of HER primary insurance amount of $1500, which is less than your $1286. Note that if your wife predeceases you, you may switch to a 'survivor' benefit which will be higher than the benefit you have now. But, it is only 1 benefit amount you can draw at any given time. I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "ToStephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answerit. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online legal resource!