Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife went to the Agawam Mass Police Station 7/15/15 to inquire

Customer Question

My wife went to the Agawam Mass Police Station 7/15/15 to inquire on the criminal history of a friend that lives in a different city (Chicopee MA). She was handed documents by the police with this guy's SSN, DOB, Address, Age, Middle initial and more with no hint of protection. They noted she could not make a copy of the information on the printer but could copy what she wanted and leave with no review of info taken.
Is this lawful that someone off the street with no relationship to the guy can just get this information and leave with no protection (no blackout, no erasures, no cross outs, no nothing)? He is noted as a Sex Offender Level 2 from something in 1996 but has no restrictions to his freedom or actions.
Jim (###) ###-####
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Then this information was text to various parents in town where the test traveled like wild fire. I am not sure how many residents went to look it this data but since it went out to a bunch of parents the police just handed the same info out with no protection. Who knows where this info could have gone. The guy is a senior of 69 yrs of age.
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Hi,.Please don't shoot the messenger here, as what I'm about to tell you runs against he grain of what you might expect, based on your question...here's the law on level II ... (The police likely treated your wife as in one of the classes where disclosure is required)..Level II.Moderate risk to re-offend within the community at large. Relevant, necessary and accurate information concerning risk Level II offenders may be disclosed to public and private schools, child day care centers, family day care providers, businesses and organizations that serve primarily children, women or vulnerable adults, and neighbors and community groups near the residence where the offender resides, expects to reside, or is regularly found. Level II offenders MAY NOT be the subject of general public notification..This is not my practice area, but I would submit that it's likely that the requirement that she not TAKE copies out is their interpretation of that last line of the statute ("...MAY NOT be the subject of general public notification.").Soru if this is not whhat you wanted to hear, but at level 2, disclosure of information IS the essence of the punishment.... Don.t of course, in the interests of protecting the public..Let me know if you have questions..