How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does a young man of 17 obtain a Social Security Number

Customer Question

How does a young man of 17 obtain a Social Security Number if he doesn't posses proper documentation. His parents both have SSN's, and U.S. birth certificates. The young man was home birthed, but the mid-wife didn't sign his birth certificate, and is not locatable. He is the 7th child of 14 siblings. Applications to the SS offices have been rejected due to lack of documentation. What is his recourse before it ruins his future?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
THis is a doozy and it is very unfortunate that his parents were so negligent with his wellbeing. Please tell me that they had him babtized or other religious record was made when he was VERY young?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He wasn't baptised till April '20011. As I understand his circumstance, they applied during the time of the 9/11 attack. The fellow handling his case quit during that time, the case got dropped, and the laws changed requiring stricter guidelines. He was born Sept. 17, 1997 near Seattle, WA.. I have just received his file and am going to see if I can find something in it that may help. I would think the SS Admin. would have a record of his early applications, unless they never filed them or entered anything into a computer.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
OK, this is very unfortunate. Both his parent's failure and then the change of the laws after 911. Many seniors are also finding themselves in predicaments due to mismatching (not great mismatch, but typos, reversed names, etc) documentation.
I have to say, I have not found an avenue to negotiate to get proper documents after the fact - to create that which we wish. I'd like to think that it could be done via a court proceeding where certain evidence can be used to prove a fact that will result in an order, such as an order for a birth certificate to be created. But I am not finding it. I am going to opt out so another may comment here if he/she has some ideas.
But in the meantime, does this young man have or can he get:
Driver's permit/license?
Childhood education records (school) from 5+?
Pre-School record
Vaccination records as a baby and other medical records?
Records from any 'institutions' he may have been a member of, such as the YMCA, Little League, etc.
Although I don't yet have an answer, if one were to be developed by law in this country, I'd think that proofs like the above would be part of it, if it were to work in one's favor, so regardless, he should work very hard to get this stuff.
Note, given SSA's lack of evidence of an attempt to apply (although I'd ask again) - it would NOT be an SSA task (or ability) to assume or just give out the SS # ***** As you know, we have a terrible terrorism problem in this country, as well as a burdensome illegal immigration issue that is financially damaging, as well as simple fraud issues based on stolen IDs and SS#s - and there must remain a level of proof needed to prevent this as much as possible. But the law DOES need to develop a way of one PROVING via other circumstantial evidence that they WERE BORN HERE on X date to A&B parents. If I find anything showing the state of the law has or is moving that way, I will post here if possible. If not, I will post in a blog on my practice's website. In he meantime, hopefully someone else has some info that would be helpful.
I wish him the best of luck here - I see this being a major problem in varying forms, for many good, hardworking people, so I'd like to see a process developed for those situations.
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.