How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have power of attorney of my mom.Shes recently gone into

Customer Question

I have power of attorney of my mom.Shes recently gone into assisted living0 I have taken care of her foe 8 yrs. I am on her checking account and have been for yrs. I am an only child. I have a lady bird deed that protects the house it is my home also..I need to get her Medicaid eligible..she only has around 3.500 in the bank in Tx I believe its 20000.00..Can I close the account since Its my acc. as well to protect the money..Or could I take all bur 20000.00. This was all suddenly she has later stages of demenia.. I need help on this.I took care of house and life ins.they are secure I believe. Thank you ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon Linda,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
All accounts as well all countable assets combined that your mother is on with you, or by herself must be collectively less than $2,000.00 to be Medicaid eligible for payment of nursing home care. All assets above the $2000 mark which are technically your mother's need to be spent down.
As a practical matter, you might just close out the joint account and transfer the funds into a separate account in your name only.
Here is a link to the basic eligibility rules in Texas:
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,