How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I reach full retirement, can I collect on my husbands

Customer Question

When I reach full retirement, can I collect on my husbands social security and let mine build until 70? Even if at 66, one half of his SS will be less that my eligible amount at 66?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can as that is very smart strategy to defer receiving yours until age 70 when you would receive your maximum benefit allowed. Note, most people do not know you can do this and the SSA does not advertise it. I wish you well.