dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Good Morning, I just read an article in AARP Social security

Customer Question

Good Morning, I just read an article in AARP Social security special report.
I read "What If you're divorced" section:
I have been divorced from my ex almost 20 yrs.
She has received life time alimony until now, and since she has not remarried and I am still alive, I need to understand what legal rights she has to my social security benefits. And I need to know mine. Considering I plan to work till I am 70 (born 1954). Does she really have any claim to my benefits while I am alive, or is it when I am dead?
HELP.
TC
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.
She is entitled to the larger of 1/2 a benefit based on your earnings record or one based solely on her own earnings record. However, that is only if you were married for a minimum of 10 years and she did not remarry until attaining age 60. There are no other entitlement benefits for her related to you. One VERY IMPORTANT point to remember is that in no way do any benefits paid to her reduce those paid to you. Your benefit, whether you retire as early as 62 or at 70 as you plan, will not be reduced because of your former spouse.