Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My sister is working still at age 67 but has started to collect

Customer Question

My sister is working still at age 67 but has started to collect her ss as of last year. Now has had medical issues and w wondered if she had to stop work would he be eligible for SS disability and would it pay more than what she is collecting now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
No, SSDIB only goes to age 66+. She is now of retirement age. SSDIB is the same amount as her full retirement amount anyway.
I would add that IF she is able to live on her work earnings alone, and remains well enough to push it to 70, if she STOPS collecting now, until age 70, she can increase her later benefit when she does start it again at 70, another 24% or so. This is because when we delay collecting past our full retirement age, we earn Delayed Retirement Credits, and for every year that we do so, up to age 70, we increase our benefit by 8%. This increase can be very helpful for when all we have is SS income and we can no longer supplement it with working.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much, greatly appreciate it.
You bet! Please don't forget to rate my service.