LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I live in California and I collect SSDI of 1389 per month.

Customer Question

I live in California and I collect SSDI of 1389 per month. My question is " If i get a part time job ,what is the most I can earn without affecting that dollar amount. How much per year?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2015, any months you earn less than $780 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $780 gross, you will be able to work and continue to receive benefits so long as you do not earn more than $1,090 per month.
Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail: http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug