Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Need info to collect deceased husbands pension from Bethlehem

Customer Question

Need info to collect deceased husbands pension from Bethlehem Steel where he was employed about 30 years. They say that pension will not be eligible until my husband " WOULD HAVE " turned 65. I AM 67
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
Please accept my deepest sympathy on the passing of your husband.
The federal pension law, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), requires private pension plans to provide a pension to a worker’s surviving husband or wife if the employee earned a benefit.
1. You can choose for the plan to start making payments on the date your husband would have reached early retirement age and receive a smaller benefit OR
2. You can choose to wait until the date your spouse would have reached the plan’s definition of normal retirement age in order to receive a full retirement benefit.
You may want to contact Bethlehem Steel and ask if payments under option one are available to you now.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb