How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a young adult family member who has a learning disability

Customer Question

I have a young adult family member who has a learning disability that is hindering him from maintaining employment and just grasping common life skills. It has been so frustrating and costly on the family, putting many in debt. He's once again jobless and homeless, staying with a friend - which will end soon. He was never officially diagnosed with a LD, but there's no denying it. His mother was diagnosed when she was younger. Is it possible to obtain some social service help for him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
Had he ever had his IQ checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not that I'm aware of. He did terrible in school, but they graduated him because of 'No child left behind'. Told us 'they worked his numbers so he could graduate'.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,
That is a shame, I think that program really didn't work as intended for the kids.
In any event, since you are in the Social Security forum here, I assume you are inquiring about social security. (State or local social services can be inquired of at his local/county welfare office.)
Now, for Social Security, or SSI, more likely, he will have to prove that medically he is unable to work full time because he lacks the functional capacity due to medical/mental impairments, to fulfill certain necessary functions of ANY job. I.e. he can not even due a simple unskilled job full time due to XYZ. For instance, if he can not remember and carry out even simple instructions on a full time basis, consistently, 8 hours/ day, 5 days/ week, that may prevent ALL occupations.
There are times when a very low IQ will suffice as a "listing" type of disability, but he doesn't necessarily sound as if it is his IQ, but perhaps the LD you were speaking of. If he had mental health counseling as a child, that could help. But if not, he needs to be fully evaluated, cognitively and extensively, and it tends to be best to have regular and frequent 'treatment' with a mental health professional, it may include appropriate medications, such as if he has ADD/ADHD, etc., continuing testing to show this is ongoing and how severe, etc. If his work history is sporadic enough, that can be helpful and if an employer would actually provide documentation as to how he was uanble to fulfill even this simple job because he could not remember the procedure, even though simple, etc., or he got distracted too easily, etc. Employers can be great credible sources of info because they tend to not be biased in the employees favor.
You will definitely want him to use a social security disability attorney to develop as much evidence as can be found and developed - because it is very complicated, particularly when he has little proof of anything.
I will see if we can add an additional services button you can use for an additional question or if you want to reach me directly.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!