How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is a civil service retiree. Her total was

Customer Question

My wife is a civil service retiree. Her total for 2007 was $7164, out of which she pays for Medicare.
I am also a civil service retiree (3/31/1989), but worked in private sector for another 18 years. My Social Security income for 2007 was $9738. She has never received any social security benefits based on my income.
Am I correct that she should have been entitled to $2383 (1/2 of my $9738 minus 2/3 of her $7164)?
If this is essentially correct, could she be entitled of to back benefits from 2007 to the present?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I am not sure I am following your math.
GPO applies to a government pension retiree's reduction to any spousal type SS benefit she'd receive from you. So, if her potential spousal WAS 50% of yours (it could be between 35-50%, typically), or 4800-ish, then it would then be reduced by 2/3 X her pension or 4776, leaving her with 24 in spousal per month. Again, that is if her potential spousal was the full 50%.
Retroactive benefits are typically only allowed up to 6 months, so no, even still, they wouldn't pay her the amount due back to 2007, only back about 6 months.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!