How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37394
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a drug prob. about 3yrs. Ago,my daughter Olivia Rene

Customer Question

I had a drug prob. about 3yrs. Ago,my daughter Olivia Rene Darnell (I had Custody) and was living w/my sis/+ME,Debra Joy Darnell....S.S.Servises were brought in because I had just won Custody from my lil girls mom(Faron chinalt Lowery),About that time my sisters Debra joy darnell And lLaura Gene Darnell we're both granted custody full custody at that time due to the plain and simple facts that her mom and myself had drug addiction issues.I have been playing male approximately since August 2014, I see comprehensive counseling and Roanoke Virginia and they use Suboxone treatment.this medicine virtually changed my life it's saved me, and help get all my family trust issues resolved and most importantly of all it has given my daughters trust and her dad a new found prayer that only God can answer.
My question to you is I draw Social Security disability not SSI but SSA ,I bring home $1783 a month plus I have a small pension from USAir airlines for 426.38......
Mel says my sister Deborah has custody of Olivia she gets a check from Social Security for Olivia and the amount of almost $1000 virtually half of mine and they areand they are not saving any money for my daughter, this thousand dollars is used for their living expenses mind you he makes about $6000 a month,it's just the three of them of them.
I am very concerned about them using my daughters money that could go on and the savings for her for her first car so she can go to college of what she is a Dean's list Dean's honor honor roll student,but maybe $50 is spent on my daughter every month, and are there any rules and laws that the custodians of my daughter how they spend her Social Security benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Under Social Security regulations, caretakers who receive children’s social security benefits, such as the benefit paid for your daughter, have a legal obligation to account for the funds and to spend it for the care of your child.
First, they must make sure the beneficiary’s day-to-day needs for food and shelter are met. Then, the money can be used for any of the beneficiary’s medical and dental care that is not covered by health insurance, and for personal needs, such as clothing and recreation. If there is money left after you pay for the beneficiary’s needs, it must be saved, preferably in an interest-bearing account or U.S. Savings Bonds.
As a representative payee, you are responsible for keeping records and reporting on how you spend the benefits by completing a Representative Payee Report (Form SSA-623, SSA-6230 or SSA-6233). The appropriate form will be mailed to you about once a year.
If you have reason to believe that they are stealing your daughter's money, then you should file a report with the social security administration and they will investigate the situation.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,