LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a 79 year old male getting approximately $2300 monthly

Customer Question

I am a 79 year old male getting approximately $2300 monthly now from social Security, and still working. If I die, will my wife get my social security payments? GP
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If you predecease your wife, she will be entitled to a survivor benefit from social security. The survivor benefit will be equal in amount to the benefit that you are receiving at the time of your death. So if you are receiving $2300 per month at your death, then that is what she will receive as her benefit.
The survivor benefit will take the place of her present retirement benefit because social security doesn't allow anyone to collect more than one benefit at a time.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug