How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I draw disability social security and want to know if my wife

Customer Question

I draw disability social security and want to know if my wife is entitled to1/2 my benefits if we are separated and live apart.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
How old are you and how old is your wife?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 54 years old. My social security is due to disability while working. My wife is 53 years old. We are separated. She lives in California. I live in Oregon.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
No, a spouse generally can not take a social security benefit unless she is disabled or of retirement age. If not disabled, she will have to wait until she is 66+ to take 50% as a spouse (if better than choosing her own work record benefit), or can take abut 35% of your amount if she is 62.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!