PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

Do I need to wait until my former husband of 21 years dies

Customer Question

Do I need to wait until my former husband of 21 years dies to get his SS benefits? I am still single?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you might be eligible to claim on his work record for divorced spouse benefits. From SSA: "If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:You are unmarried;You are age 62 or older;Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits andThe benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.Note: Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount(or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits atyour full retirement age.If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years." http://ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html is the link to this web page.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
If you meet these requirements, you can claim. If you are over 62 but less than full retirement age, your benefit will be reduced, but you could be eligible for a benefit of 50% of his benefit. And, that does not affect his benefit at all. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer