LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was severely injured in a fall while working a small tree

Customer Question

I was severely injured in a fall while working a small tree job. I have insurance for damages I make to other's property, but no insurance for myself. Since I can't claim workman's Comp., and have no income for the foresee future, could I be eligible for SSI?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
As for SSI, this is a welfare benefit that happens to be funded by social security and overseen by individual states. In order to be eligible for SSI, you must not only be disabled but have minimal family income coming in and have virtually no assets other than your home and a car. Assets that are not exempt, such as your home and one car, are limited to just $2,000 and many people don't qualify for SSI because they do have assets.
However, if you have worked for wages in the past for at least 10 years, then you likely will qualify for social security disability (SSDI) if you have become disabled because of an injury. The fact that your disability happened while you were working is of no matter and so long as you are disabled and expected to be disabled for at least one year or longer, then you will qualify for disability benefits.
You can apply online for your Disability (SSDI) benefit at this site: http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug