How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was severely injured in a fall while working a small tree

Customer Question

I was severely injured in a fall while working a small tree job. I have insurance for damages I make to other's property, but no insurance for myself. Since I can't claim workman's Comp., and have no income for the foresee future, could I be eligible for SSI?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
As for SSI, this is a welfare benefit that happens to be funded by social security and overseen by individual states. In order to be eligible for SSI, you must not only be disabled but have minimal family income coming in and have virtually no assets other than your home and a car. Assets that are not exempt, such as your home and one car, are limited to just $2,000 and many people don't qualify for SSI because they do have assets.
However, if you have worked for wages in the past for at least 10 years, then you likely will qualify for social security disability (SSDI) if you have become disabled because of an injury. The fact that your disability happened while you were working is of no matter and so long as you are disabled and expected to be disabled for at least one year or longer, then you will qualify for disability benefits.
You can apply online for your Disability (SSDI) benefit at this site:
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,