How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get copies of my dead husband's 1990-1993

Customer Question

How can I get copies of my dead husband's 1990-1993 w2 forms. He worked for General Instrument Corp. then and bought into its pension plan. The company subsequently became Vishay Inter technology, Inc. When my husband retired in 1993,he began collecting his pension from Vishay. After he died in 2010, I received the monthly payments. In June, I received a "Notice of Intent to Terminate Vishay Retirement Plan". The proposed termination date: August 15, 2015.
My daughter believes that they have been short-changing me, and wants to calculate the benefit from their formula and his income; but I don't remember which of the above years he began paying into the pension plan. The IRS doesn't archive that far back. Social Security might. My husband's SS# ***** ***** xxx xxxx. His name was Irving xxxxx
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Social security gets its information from the IRS or from the employer directly.
Unless you have access to copies of the taxes returns that you and your husband filed more than two decades ago, then it may be impossible to get copies of the W-2s from those years.
However, his employer, and that employer's pension plan administrator would have all of this information as they are legally obligated to preserve it for the benefit plan, and you should ask them for the information. It may be necessary to get a court order to get the information if they will not cooperate with you.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.
Thank you,