How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions, experienced business attorney.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has been a high earner years. He plans to

Customer Question

My husband has been a high earner for 27 years. He plans to take his pension & SS @ 62. He is 59 now. I want to take SS @ 65. I will b 61 in Aug. & have worked for 22 years. full time. @ my age of 65 we will b married 9 years. Will I get part of his SS benefits?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Once and if you choose to accept benefits, you will have a choice--you can either take 100% of your earned benefit, or 50% of the maximum benefit that your spouse is entitled to obtain. You cannot receive both, you have to pick one. As far as receiving your spouse's benefit, you need to remain married--if you get divorced you need to be married for at least 10 years to qualify for his portion of the pension. Sincerely, ***** *****